Saturday, February 18, 2012

For What It's Worth

This whole Whitney Houston drama has me thinking, so I guess I'll share.

Yes, she was a pop icon with a wonderful gift.  Yes, she entertained millions in the 80s and 90s and was loved by many.  Does all of that make her worthy of being honored by flying flags at half-staff?    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the flag rules mainly applied to heroes and those who have served their country.  I don't think entertaining the masses can be considered serving your country.   And I guess it is her family's prerogative to allow television cameras at her funeral, but I won't be watching.  And I hope the networks have the good sense not to carry it, but I'd doubt that will happen. 

And while I think her drug problem is tragic, I don't think it negates her accomplishments prior to the drug use.  Addiction is a disease, and we are all susceptible.  I wonder, what if she hadn't met and fallen in love with Bobby Brown?  Would she have fallen victim to the pressures of the music business and her personal problems?  Drugs are everywhere.  Anyone could have introduced her to them.  I think he's probably shouldering much more blame than he deserves.  I wish she could have been cured of her disease and gone on to live a long and happy life.  Unfortunately, not everyone gets their happy ending.

RIP Whitney, your troubles are all behind you.

And now I'm going to get busy cooking!  Frozen Crock Pot Meals, get ready -- I'm headed your way!

Happy Saturday faithful readers!

1 comment: