Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Who You Callin' Crazy?

Depression.  I don't know anyone who hasn't uttered the words "ugh, I'm so depressed" at least a few times in their lives.  You didn't get the job?  Your favorite team just lost the Super Bowl?  You ran out of chocolate ice cream?  Let me tell you something.  You may feel sad, but depressed?  That's a whole nother world, and unless you can't function for months, can't get out of bed and get dressed, can't cook, can't clean your house, and/or can't face being around other people, you are most certainly NOT depressed.  Can you imagine a life where you are so dependent on chemicals that if you go one day without them, all you can think of is how much easier it would be if you just ended your life?  I guarantee you know someone who has been diagnosed with Clinical Depression.  You probably work with them, socialize with them, maybe you even live with them, and at the very least, you read their blog.  And unless you snooped in their medicine chest, you probably are blissfully unaware of their condition.   Do you know why that is?  I mean, I bet you know plenty of people who have High Blood Pressure or High Cholesterol, maybe someone with a life threatening condition like kidney failure or cancer.  They all talk about how expensive the medicine is or how much work they've missed due to their condition.  But how often do you hear anyone talking about Depression?  There's a reason for that.  There is still a stigma attached to "mental" illness that leads society to believe those suffering from it have a character flaw.  Too many people don't understand that Depression is a medical condition just like acne or migraine headaches. 

Well I'm here to tell you, loud and proud, that even though I suffer from Depression, I'm not crazy in the head, and you don't have to be afraid of me.  I can be a wonderful friend.  I can excel in my job, and work rings about my coworkers.  I'm smart, loving, and fun.  All I have to do is take a little pill every morning, along with my pills for high blood pressure, thyroid disease, and diabetes. 

I also want to tell you that if you identify with any of these symptoms of depression, PLEASE do not be afraid to talk to you Dr. about it.  You cannot imagine the difference treatment can make in not only your life, but in your loved ones lives as well.  Living with someone with Depression is not easy.  Just ask my husband. 

Please get educated on depression, and don't judge people who have it.  We're really no different than you. 


2 comments: